Saved from something like Regret

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Nature





Ok, more pictures from the South Island. But these first ones are hopefully especially interesting. I have never seen anything like these before. They are the Morekai Boulders, because, duh, they are in Morekai and they are boulders. Nice creative name, I know. Anyway, we had fun running around them and looking at them and thinking about them. It is one of the strangest things I've ever seen. As you can see from the one picture with Travis, it looks like the hill is about to give birth to one of the boulders, and that's sort of what happens. The rock around it is much softer and gets washed away to reveal the boulders.

We went to Dunedin from there. Dunedin is Gaelic for "New Edinburgh" because it was settled by Scottish people. It was a pretty cool town, and I'll be adding some more pictures from that later, but here is a picture of the beach we walked along one night.

I am one that hates swimming with sea weed. I know some of my friends can relate to that. It gets all wrapped around your legs and feels like it's going to drown you. Anyway, I did not know what sea weed was until coming to New Zealand. Now, I'm sure there is similar sea weed in the States, but I had never seen anything like this. It was so gross! It is really heavy and the part where it latches on to something seriously looked like a deer skull (yes, I've seen many of those). I just don't even know what else to say about it.


But then we got to see some beautiful waterfalls without any sea weed! We stopped along the highway and did a couple little hikes to these waterfalls. I think they speak for themselves.

3 Comments:

At 12/11/06 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S isnt Purakanui Falls just the ticket! hehe

 
At 12/11/06 5:49 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Jenna, Glad you know what it's called, cause I could'nt remember! :) How did the job interview go?

 
At 13/11/06 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Blog. Christmas sale These delightful Family Holiday Ornaments will make each year a memorable family tradition for generations to come. Please visit Christmas sale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home