Saved from something like Regret

Monday, September 11, 2006

The English Language

Before heading to New Zealand, some people asked us what language they spoke here. We were thankful to report that most people here speak English, but after a few days of being here, we are finding that some people are still very difficult to understand. To help you understand what I'm talking about, I've come up with a few words that have different meanings here in New Zealand as compared to the States. Here is the first draft of my English to English Dictionary:

NEW ZEALAND---USA
Bonnett---------Hood (of a car)
Boot------------Trunk (of a car)
Holiday---------Vacation
Flash/Posh------Fancy, expensive, nice
Kiwi------------Bird, fruit, person
Pushchair-------Stroller
Trolly----------Cart
Bench----------Counter (like in the kitchen)
Rubbish--------Trash
Smash----------Hit, beat up
Toilet---------Bathroom
Chips----------French Fries or chips
Takeaways------Carry-out/take-out
Flat-----------Apartment
Biscuit--------Cookie

I thought some of you USA readers would get a kick out of this! :)

We went to the beach on Sunday for Rebecca's birthday (she is Peter and Margaret's daughter, the ones responsible for us being here), but it was cold and rainy. It was still beautiful, as you can see. :) I got some fish and chips from the takeaway shop, which were very good, but made me feel a bit sick afterwards. Check Travis' blog to see a picture of a crab he found on the beach.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home